Alien Sewer

Alien Sewer

I’ve been commissioned to produce a couple of sewer dioramas, one identical to the one I had created earlier this year.

As you can see I have the basic form of one and the other two are in the process of joining this one.  

 

 

With the design agreed I can now branch this piece of onto it’s own page.  My client has asked for a few of changes to be made previous version.  Instead of the central column with grate, he would like it replaced with a barred tunnel entrance, damp walls with multiple pipes running along the sides. 

To apply the magnets to the walls I sanded all the sides down, having the magnets in place at this stage, I find it easier to work with model.

 

The brick work has been marked out and ready to be scored.  I had marked out the size of the tunnel entrance and toyed with the idea of adding a raised smaller sewer pipe further down one of the wall.

 

 

The sewer tunnel entrance was cut, along with a frame to the tunnel. The walkways I sliced and sanded the corners of that run on the length of each. 

 

The brick work was scored into the foam, it’s now starting to look like a sewer.

 

 

 

Using barbecue skewers as bars for the entrance at the end of the tunnel, each one cut down to size, pressed into the foam and then glued in place.  Once they have been painted tissue paper will be placed behind the bars and then sandwiched in place with another layer of foam behind it.

Testing with the look with ripple water sheet.
 

Painting

 I have applied a base coat consisting of watered down Burnt Umber and white, spreading the paint evenly using a mini roller. When this had dried, I added a touch of yellow into the mixture and added it to the areas of broken brick.  A second coat was then added, the mixture comprising of Burnt Umber, yellow and black.  This was then thinly applied over the surface of the entire diorama, making sure the paint didn’t overrun into the cracks  of the walls and floor.

 

The walkway edges, tunnel entrances where painted using Games Workshops Mechanicus Grey, the bars where painted with Games Workshops Leadbelcher, shaded with Nuln Oil and highlighted with Games Workshops Stormhost Silver.  

Battleground Arena

Battleground Arena

I’ve been commissioned to create a set similar to my Eternia Ruin with removable pillars.

Build

 The base is made of 2 pieces of foam board 20″ x 10″, the boards were glued together using PVA glue.  Once they dried I’d marked out the tiled floor, where each flag stone is 3″ x 2.5″.

The slabs have been scored into the foam, using some excess pieces I have built a small alter along with some corner steps. Before these become permanent fixtures I am playing with ideas before adding the columns.

 

The steps have been aged to match the rest of the diorama.

 

 

Sewer 2

Sewer

I’ve been commissioned to produce a couple of sewer dioramas, one identical to the one I had created earlier this year.

Build

As you can see I have the basic form of one and the other two are in the process of joining this one.  The other two will be getting their pages as they develop, as you can see they are still in their early construction phase.

 

 

 

With the walls dry it was time to cut the mouths of the sewer tunnels into one wall of two of the sewers. I wanted these sets to marry up with the ones I had previously cut for me TMNT Lair I made a couple of months ago.

 

With this done I can now start to etch in the brick work into the walls of these two sewers. The third sewer I need to cut a sewer tunnel mouth in the center of the middle wall.

 

I cut out a circle entrance on the wall running in parallel to other long wall, the circle cut is about 5″ diameter.    I scored in the brick work to match up with the rest of diorama.  I cut a ring of foam  as a frame for this entrance etching stone work to it.

 

 I then marked on the brick work, each brick is 2″ x 1″. 

 

I scored into the form to form the brick wall and walkways.

 
The sewer loosely put together

I finished up scoring the walkways, I’ve swapped the two walls over, added the magnets and trimmed it all down to size.

 

I created the central column which sits between the two walkways.

 

Using barbecue skewers for bars, cutting them down to size and then gluing them into place.  Rounding of the front corners of the central column then tacking my rotary tool with its sanding head, I weathered the bricks of the column and wall behind it.

 

Painting

 I have applied a base coat consisting of watered down Burnt Umber and white, spreading the paint evenly using a mini roller. When this had dried, I added a touch of yellow into the mixture and added it to the areas of broken brick.

 

A second coat was then added, the mixture comprising of Burnt Umber, yellow and black.  This was then thinly applied over the surface of the entire diorama, making sure the paint didn’t overrun into the cracks  of the walls and floor.

 

The walkway edges, tunnel entrances where painted using Games Workshops Mechanicus Grey, the small sewer pipe and bars where painted with Games Workshops Leadbelcher, shaded with Nuln Oil and highlighted with Games Workshops Stormhost Silver.  I dry brushed over the entire diorama with Longbeard Grey.