I’ve been asked to build a Star Wars diorama for a friend’s son to display his 3.75″ figures on. So I’m building him an Imperial Compound because nothing is better than the Rebels infiltrating an Imperial compound!
It’s will be 16″ high, two levels plus a rooftop landing platform. Garage and side door entrance and has to be ready in two weeks! I like challenge!
Building the Scene
So far I’ve cut variation of 14″ high lengths, widths of 6″, 4″ & 3″, cutting out doors and windows. Then gluing this all together as one piece.
I’ve cut two 10 mm panels (14″ x 9″) and then two 6 mm panels of the same size, glued the 10 mm & 6 mm together for the walls. The cut out the floor on a pieces of 10 mm then glued it onto a piece of 6 mm. Leaving this to dry over night before carrying on.
I’ve added a platform where a Canon can be mounted and a viewing balcony demonstrated here by Grand Admiral Thrawn.
I have added a layer of 6 mm foam board to the inside of the front wall, not only to strengthen but also a guide for the first floor to sit in between.
I’ve started to add the detail to the front of the compound, while building up the sides so they aren’t flat walls.
I’ve built a central console for the first floor. With the shape made, I can start adding in the detail before adding a small roof to the structure.
I’ve started etching in the panels on the exterior
Started etching the central console.
Began working on the underside of the floor. Once that at done I started working on the etchings of the upper floor.
Finished off etching panel work first floor interior, finished the exterior and then started working on the design of the ground floor.
Just need to finish etching the ground floor interior, then I can start building the roof.
Finished etching panelling into the ground the floor.
I’m going to add a couple of lifts into the rear of the model, which will double up as supports for the first floor and roof.
Painting the Scene
My client decided to go with an open plan and not to go ahead with the roof, instead I’ll will be using the what was going to be the roof as the foundation for the model.
Making the most of the good weather by spraying a black base to coat to the structure.
The base has been base coated with a medium grey. Certain areas where then painted with a light grey. A few external panels where painted with a metallic blue and a touch of metallic red.
The next phase is to complete the console and then to mix a black wash which I’ll paint into the recesses of the base.
Started painting the detail on the the console then making up a dark blue wash and painted it into the crevasses of the internal walls and the exterior of the side walls.
I finished off shading the entire base before dry brushing each piece. The central console I have added some more detail to it before dry brushing that as well.
All that is left to do is dry brush the floor and paint the border black. Then I can hand it over to my friends son.