Battleground Arena

I’ve been commissioned to create a set similar to my Eternia Ruin with removable pillars.

Build

 The base is made of 2 pieces of foam board 20″ x 10″, the boards were glued together using PVA glue.  Once they dried I’d marked out the tiled floor, where each flag stone is 3″ x 2.5″.

The slabs have been scored into the foam, using some excess pieces I have built a small alter along with some corner steps. Before these become permanent fixtures I am playing with ideas before adding the columns.

 

The steps have been aged to match the rest of the diorama.

 

The pillars are two pieces of board glued together, then cut down to form two.  A notch has been cut into them, with a matching hole cut into the floor to seat them.

 

I returned my attention back to the steps in the left corner, this battleground is placed in the ruins of a building.  I have built two walls to encompass the steps, the idea here is to build these two grand walls and the break them down to create the ruined effect.  I have added a couple of more layers to the alter to raise it up to suit 6 inch figures.

 


The foam board walls were scored to resemble weathered stone stone.

 

The sections of the wall broken down to ruin.

 

The broken down parts have been be reused to make small ruined wall situated in far right corner

 


The two pillars and altar have been whethered for age to match the surrounds, whilst also adding in battle damage.

 

 

Sanding down the inside of the ruined wall, then tidying up the side before using my rotary tool to make impressions on the ruin walls. I then sprayed a black base coat over the entire model.

 

 

Painting

A base coat of grey was applied evenly over the model using a small roller.

 

White was added to the grey and rolled over. I then went over the crevices with black.

 

Adding in more white to grey, I rolled another even layer. For the final layer I added green to grey and lightly brushed all the surfaces with the paint.

 

When the paint had dried I mixed up a light brown and using the airbrush to apply the paint around the edges of each slab.

 

To complete the painting of this piece, I dry brushed over the entire model with Game Workshops Longbeard Grey.

 

The finishing touch is adding foliage to different areas around the diorama.

 

 

Final pictures to follow.

Final Pictures