Star Wars Display Stands
After watching The Mandalorian series I wanted to do a small display piece (which may end up being a series of these) based upon from show.
Display Stand 1 – Doorway
Building the Doorway
The measurements are 9″ x 6″ x 6″. The back wall, base and wall braces are made from foam board using a piece of 10mm and 6mm glued together. The wall I have added another piece of 6mm to frame around the door.
The door is made from two pieces of 2mm bolsa wood, the top pieces I have cut rectangle shapes, sanded them down and glued the two layers together.
Painting the Doorway
Using water down filler mixed with fine sand and light brown paint I have given the front of this model two coats. I have also undercoated the door with black which I’ll paint either brown or a metallic grey.
I painted the door a metallic grey, washed over it and rhe highlighted the edges. I made a door control using plastic card, once painted it was glued it to the wall.
I glued the model together and then filled the gap between the walls and base with the mixture I made for the floor and walls.
I made a dark sand brown wash for the floor, added it into the recesses of the of the door and wall brace. Then gently washed the walls. When that had dried I dry brushed over the model with a light sand brown.
Display Stand 2 – Side of a Building
I’ve decided to extend my current display, making this a series of modular displays.
This piece I am staying with the measurements of the last but doubling in length.
Made with the same material as the last. The pipes are from a spare Games Workshops Haemotrope Reactor, which I think work perfectly.
Painting the Building
I covered it with watered down filler mixed with paint and left to dry. The pipes where under coated with Abaddon black, base coated with Games Workshops Leadbelcher and the shaded with Nuln Oil and then left to dry.
When the filler had dried, I created a dark sand brown wash, shading the entire floor and crevasses of set.
While that was drying I turned my attention to the pipes. Painting the parts with Games Workshops Retributor Armour, then dry brushed with Necron Compound. After this had dried both parts where glued onto the pieces.
I added filler mix into the crevasses between the pipes and the wall. Dry brushing the mixture over the pipes to weather them.
Using the sand brown mix that was originally made and added to the filler, I have painted the border and dry brushed the floor with. Once the filler around the pipes is dried then I’ll dry brush the wall.
To finish off this piece, I have shaded areas around the pipes, dry brushed the wall and added fluid run off down the wall by the pipes.
Display Stand 3 – Building Front
I’m building up my Tatooine street scene with my third modular piece. This is the same size as the second piece but includes a door and shuttered off window.
I have added detail around the door frame, made the door and a shutter to act as a window. When the PVA glue has dried I will start to paint this.
I’ve lined it up with the other two pieces building up the street.
Creating another filler/sand/paint mixture as I have used before, I have painted this model.
Left by a warm radiator to help dry, the floor, crevasses of the walls where given a dark tan wash. The wall was then dry brushed.
The door was painted grey and dry brushed with Games Workshops Necron Compound. The shutter was under coated with black, base coated with Games Workshops Leadbelcher, washed and dry brushed with Necron Compound.
I have put all my recent modular sets together to produce a fantastic street scene, perfect for picture. Check out the gallery.