Wayne’s G.I. Joe terrain and bunker

 

Wayne’s G.I. Joe terrain and bunker

 

 

I’ve started a new G.I. Joe commission  4 x 600 x 600 terrain tiles with a bunker, which I’ve been asked to style it on the Imperial bunker from Star Wars ROTJ. To get the design right for the bunker I’m going completely back to basics. Drawing out the design to scale before going straight to foam. I had realized with the drawing, it’s smaller than I had wanted. I will have to scale it out by at least 2 inches on either side and increase its height by an inch and half.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I have cut two of the tiles required and for scale I’ve placed Snake Eyes next them.


 After spending time looking at the design, not only am I extending the bunker on either side but using bringing it forward to. Using my original thought as a porch entrance as you can see in the 3D mock up picture (not to scale!).

 

 

 

 

Now I have the design, next phase will be creating.

 

 For this phase of the project I will be focusing on the bunker which is built using foam board.  Using 5 mm foam board to create the frame around the tunnel leading into the bunker, behind each of them is two layers of 10 mm foam board.

 

 

 

 

For the front wall of the bunker I have carved in grills into either side of the wall, a two step porch roof added. 

 

 

 

 

After looking at this I decided to add another layer of 5 mm board placed in between the tunnel and front wall, with holes cut out to display grills. This will also act as a frame for the front wall.

 

 

 

 

While trying to workout the layout and design for the inside of the bunker, I cut two pieces of 10 mm foam board to the height of the front wall and 4 inches deep. These will be the walls to the bunker, then a piece of 5 mm board which will act as the floor to the bunker.

 

 

 

 

For both side walls, I’ve cut in 11 grills at half an inch thick. Once I cut through the foam, I then scored around each rectangle with a thicker blade, pressed in the top length of each rectangle, punching them in at angle.

Cut out two frames to go around each side wall, both pieces were fitted into the front wall.

 

 

 

 

The roof was cut along with two foam circles before being fitted together and sculpted into shape.