Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle
Taking inspiration from my recent Sewer commission I wanted to make a TMNT lair. This piece is scaled to the 7″ Classic figures (based on the 1987 cartoon).
The diorama is made from insulation foam board, held together with magnetic tape. Since I have used magnetic tape, it means its can be expanded upon at a later date. Either adding in extra rooms or sewer tunnels.
Decided to etch in brick work to outside of one of the doors, followed up with brick work on the sewer tunnels.
Finished the night of with some test shots of the Turtles facing down Shredder and his Foot soldiers.
Grey acrylic base coat was applied to all the inside walls, floor and the one outer wall.
I washed over the entire inside of the model with a light brown which I applied using a sponge. With that trying I turned my attention to creating one of the main pieces of furniture for any Turtle lair, the sofa! Making this out of 10 mm foam board to fit two turtles.
Placing the sofa around the lair, I’ve realized I need to trim an inch off the sofa so it doesn’t look to fill the room as much as it does now.
I cut a couple of lengths of pipe which will run the length of each wall, as you can see they are only resting on top while finish off painting the walls before attaching them.
I applied a second wash of grey over all the walls, while they were drying I turned my attention to trimming an inch off the sofa and cutting the pipes down to size.
Using the airbrush to go round each brick and every crack using a light grey. The sofa was given a coat of lime green (I know it looked awful!), this was quickly rectified and repainted over with a light brown. Once it had dried I dry brushed a dark brown over to weather it.
I spray painted the pipes with a black base coat, followed with an aluminium layer. They were dry brushed with Games Workshops Dryad Bark and Necron Compound. The walls of the model were dry brushed with Games Workshops Longbeard grey.
All the pipes where fixed into place, I combined the Turtle lair with the sewer commissioned piece I had also recently finished together to build an awesome Turtle play-set which you will see in the final pictures.