I’ve been commissioned to create an Armoury for the same customer whom I built the Cobra bunker for a couple of years ago.
Building the scene
This piece is made from foam insulation board, the base, walls and the steps I have used 10 mm foam board. The basic structure is there, time to build upon this before adding LEDs and casting weapons.
I placed magnets in the walls to hold it together. Using two strips I have separated the armory into three sections, in between the strips are three more panels which I will mounts weapons onto before fixing them into place.
Shaping the partitions to not look like slabs of foam, I then scored in 2″x2″ tiles into the floor. In each of the partition wall I will be casting weapons, at the moment I’m just getting an idea of how they will be placed.
I made 8 small holes in the roof and slid in 8 leds.
I’ve built a cover to hide the LEDs, cables and battery pack. I’ve placed a Cobra emblem over the centre, when painted will become a permanent fixture.
With the overall build done, now it is time to shaping and making it look like an 80’s cartoon Cobra armoury.
Using pottery carving tools to score into the foam and spiking holes into the foam on the back wall.
I am using blu-stuff to make molds of the weapons. I’m only making half cast because these will be permanently fixed to walls.
Made a few more molds before making the first batch of weapons. The plan is to make at least three batches of weapons to fill out this armoury.
I’ve put together a variety of cobra weapons spanning the years, I think you can guess who or what year they have come from.
I made two more batches of weapons and with some left over resin, I made another Cobra symbol.
With the extra weapons I am able to fill the walls. My client has requested that I leave space on one of the walls so he is able hand some removable weapons.
Now I’ve completed the casting I can start painting.
Black undercoat applied to the model
To begin with, I am base coating this model with a medium grey.
The rack walls with white and the guns with a coat of GWs Leadbelcher
Base coated the inside of the walls, second coat for the rack walls.
I’ve used Games Workshops Nuln Oil over each of the guns and a touch of Steel Drab on the three shotguns.
Base coat complete.
I have dry brushed Games Workshops Necron Compound over all surfaces except for the rack walls. Glued six of the guns into place and just in the process of arranging the back wall.
Instead of gluing the guns into place, I’ve been asked to add pegs for the guns to sit on.
The pegs are made from wooden toothpicks, cut down to size. To paint them, I’ve stuck them into a piece of foam board and sprayed them black.