Castle Rm3

Castle Room 3

With Bradford Unleashed around the corner, I need to take a couple of original pieces. To start with I’m going to put together another MOTU based castle room. It will be a cross between the two I’ve made previously.

 

 

Building the scene

 

 

Marked out the brick work.

 

Drawing on inspiration from my last Grayskull room I did. I cut a couple of arches onto a piece of 6 mm foam board, which lay over the bricks of the back wall.

 

I cut a window into the smaller wall and using vintage He-Ro and Club Grayskull Tung Lashor as models (due to their different heights) to gauge how big the window should be to fit both sizes of figures.

With that done, the brick work was scored out using three different pottery tools, a single edge to make the initial score, diamond to cut the groove between the brick edges and finally a ball tip to run between the brick.

 

The edges where sanded along with the inside of the window and the arches before using PVA glue to to stick the arches over the back wall.

Taking inspiration again from Mattel vintage Castle Grayskull play-set, I scored out the brickwork around the window like I did with my previously. Using smaller pieces of foam to cut out decoration for both interior and exterior window wall.

 

I had a skull cast from my last Grayskull build, so I have placed that on the back wall in between the arches.

 

Painting the scene

Black under coat done, unfortunately the spray paint ate part of the foam but luckily it worked out well.

 



 

I base coated with a light grey, then airbrushed turquoise over the inner walls. For the exterior I added green to grey mixture, when this had dried added more green mixture and gave it another coat.

 

 

The look I’m going for is Filmation internally and Mattel colour scheme for the exterior.

 

 

I airbrushed olive green over the exterior wall. While this was drying I started edging the floor with Games Workshops Calgar Blue, I then started edging the gargoyle head.

Now the big question on my mind, do I use vintage MOTU weapons or Classic?

 

 

 

Finished edging the interior walls with Games Workshops Calgar Blue and then I dry brushed over all three surfaces with Baharroth Blue.

 

For the exterior wall, I went in between the rocks with watered down Abaddon black. I dry brushed over the wall with Elysian Green. The window ledge was base coated with Burnt Umber, layered with Gorthor Brown and edged with Rhinox Hide.


 

Weapons Casting

Using the molds of vintage MOTU weapons I made for a previous Grayskull build. I have used a two part resin to cast the weapons. After 20 minutes or so, I have gently peeled the casts out of molds and started to cut away the excess resin.

 

Once they have fully cured, each weapon has been gently sanded down. I have roughly placed the weapons I want to use on walls of the diorama. They are now ready to be painted and then permanently fixed onto the walls.

 

Finished painting the weapons. I initially gave them an under coat of black, then a coat of silver. Once dry I shaded them with Games Workshops Nuln Oil and then edged with Stormhost Silver.

A few experimental shots using my vintage and Super7 vintage style figures

 

 

Final Pictures